There were some large houses at Snaresbrook, and cottages at Mobs Hole, a forest-side hamlet later called Nightingale Green. 27) Wanstead's communications with the outside world then depended mainly on the Leytonstone, Woodford, and Chigwell roads, which were controlled by the newly-formed Middlesex and Essex turnpike trust. 28) Leytonstone, leading to London, was approached by an unnamed avenue, now Cambridge Park. The Merchant Seamen's orphan asylum, established in 1827 at St. 135) It stands in a commanding position on high ground, and was designed by G. Clarke as a fine example of the 'Venetian Gothic' style. North of Leytonstone the main road (now Hollybush Hill and Woodford Road) led to Woodford and Epping, with a branch (now New Wanstead and Hermon Hill) to Chigwell and Ongar. Wanstead golf club, founded 1893, claims to be the second oldest in Essex. 115) Its club house was once part of the out-buildings of Wanstead House. 118) The Wanstead young men's association, founded in 1877, merged in 1935 with the Wanstead literary society to form the Wanstead literary and debating society (1935–60). 119) Among notable residents of Wanstead was James Bradley (1693–1762), astronomer royal, who was trained at Wanstead by his uncle James Pound (rector 1707–24), himself a distinguished astronomer and friend of Sir Isaac Newton. 123) Among several lord mayors of London living at Wanstead were Sir William Plomer (d. George's in the East (Lond.), was transferred in 1862 to a new building in Hermon Hill, Wanstead, which provided places for 300 orphans of British merchant seamen. 133) The building was taken over in 1921 by the convent of the Good Shepherd, as a refuge for women and girls, (fn. The western boundary marched with Leyton and Walthamstow, and the river Roding formed the eastern boundary. 10) In 1934 it was united with that of Woodford and in 1937 the combined district became a municipal borough.The south-west of the parish comprised a spur called the Wanstead Slip which ran south of Leyton down to the marshes near Temple Mills, and included a small detached part locally situated in West Ham. 8) In the mid 19th century Wanstead parish comprised 2,002 a. 9) A local board of health was formed for the parish in 1854. Wanstead and Woodford became part of Redbridge in 1965.During the early 19th century Long-Wellesley, the lord of the manor, made several attempts to close public paths across his park, but he was only partly successful. 72) An Act of 1816 authorized the construction of Blake Hall Road in place of a former track, and gave protection to certain paths in the park, including three which later became Overton Drive, St. Eastern Avenue, and its feeder Cambridge Park, cuts through the centre of Wanstead, and its heavy traffic has changed the character of the town. In 1681 Wanstead was served by a daily coach from Aldgate. 75) There were five daily services in 1791: three from Aldgate and two from White-chapel. 76) In the early 19th century services to the village did not improve much, but Snaresbrook was served by frequent coaches along the Woodford Road, and others running to London via Walthamstow. 77) Early in the present century there was a horse bus service between Wanstead and Leytonstone and another between Wanstead and Forest Gate. 78) By 1911 the motor bus route from Elephant and Castle ended at Wanstead. 79) The Loughton branch of the Eastern Counties railway, opened in 1856, ran through Wanstead, and Snaresbrook station was built in High Street. 80) The branch was electrified in 1947 when it was taken over by London Transport as part of the Central (underground) line. 81) The Central line extension from Leytonstone to Newbury Park, opened at the same time, included Wanstead station, Eastern Avenue, built in 1937–8 to the design of Charles Holden. 82) From 1692 Wanstead was within the London penny post area, with a daily collection and delivery. Roman remains found in and around Wanstead Park indicate a substantial settlement. 19) In the Middle Ages Wanstead was a small, sparsely populated rural parish on the southern fringe of Epping Forest. By 1891 the population of the parish was 26,292, but that of the local board district (excluding Cann Hall) was only 7,092.
During the next twenty-five years there was building near Snaresbrook station: in Hermon Hill (fn. During the Second World War most of Wanstead's houses were damaged and several hundred were destroyed. 71) and included a large proportion of detached and semi-detached types. 89) The company's exchange, opened in Wellesley Road by 1902, had passed to the G. 59) and the new roads east of it, and at New Wanstead, a name now used only for the road, but originally applied to the whole area between that road and Cambridge Park. Since 1918 the shortage of land and increasing urbanization have restricted house sizes, and have stimulated the building of flats, including a tall block at the corner of New Wanstead and High Street, and others in Eastern Avenue. In 1971 High Street was in process of redevelopment as the main shopping centre of Wanstead. 46) but the present building dates from the 18th century. 47) It bears a tablet, dated 1752, with a cryptic inscription commemorating a cherry pie. 48) The Thatched House inn, Leytonstone High Road, mentioned in 1791, was rebuilt about 1875 100 yd. The church, extended in 1709–10, was replaced in 1790 by a much larger building. The demolition of Wanstead House (1823–4) did not immediately stimulate growth. 51) and this restricted development in the south of the parish where most of the demesne lay. 1800–50 still survived in 1971 on the west side of High Street. 68) Most building since 1914 has been on the eastern side of the parish. 90) Gas was first supplied to Wanstead by the West Ham Gas Co. The George (formerly George and Dragon), High Street, is recorded from 1716, but was rebuilt . The first parish school, which still survives, was built in High Street in 1796. It did not, however, prevent the inclosure by the manor court of the woodland and waste in and north of the old village. 53) During the earlier 19th century cottages, some of them built on new inclosures, increased in number, in spite of opposition from the vestry, which feared that such building would attract poor to the parish. 54) By 1841 more than half Wanstead's dwellings were cottages. Many of the larger houses built during that period, as before, were at Snaresbrook. 56) The most notable new building was the Royal Wanstead school, Hollybush Hill (1843). The opening of Eastern Avenue in the 1920s was followed by development north and south of it. In the 18th century it was rebuilt as a Palladian mansion dominating the parish. 26) By then, however, the village also was growing. 125) Wanstead House had several eminent residents, including the earl of Leicester in the 16th century and Sir Josiah Child in the 17th, and many distinguished visitors. 126) Three orphanages were established in Wanstead in the mid 19th century. The school buildings form an impressive range, especially when seen across the pond from Snaresbrook Road. 130) They were designed by (Sir) George Gilbert Scott in Jacobean style, of grey stone with buff stone dressings. 131) The Commercial Travellers' school originated in 1845, when Robert Cuffley, himself a traveller, took the lead in raising funds to provide a school for the children of deceased or necessitous commercial travellers. 132) A house was bought in George Lane and the school opened there in 1847.Most of the houses lay north of the park, in the present High Street and in Wanstead (later George) Lane (now Eastern Avenue and Nutter Lane). The Royal Wanstead school was founded at Hackney in 1827 as the Infant Orphan asylum, and was transferred to new buildings, south of the Eagle pond at Snaresbrook, in 1843. 127) The charity, maintained by public subscription, and conducted on Anglican lines, was originally intended for children from respectable families under the age of 8, but in 1852 it was decided to keep boys up to 14 and girls up to 15. 128) The number of children was about 500–600 during the later 19th century, after which it declined. By 1854 there were 135 children, and in 1855 the school was moved to Pinner (Mdx.), where it survived until 1967.Red (formerly Hockley's) Bridge over the Roding existed in the 16th century and was probably older. 29) From the 17th century to the 19th its repair was the subject of disputes between the parishes of Wanstead and Barking and the riparian landowners. 30) It appears to have been rebuilt about 1642 and again in 1840–1. 31) The present bridge, which carries Eastern Avenue, was built by the Ministry of Transport in 1923–6. 32) Many of the larger houses shown on 18th-century maps were probably new. 40) Among early-18th-century houses was an impressive group of five in the Mall (the east side of High Street). 41) Of those the Manor House (West Essex Conservative Club) survives, as a red-brick building of seven bays with an original shell-hood to the doorway. 42) The adjoining Sheridan House is of slightly later date. 99) A later engine, bought in 1874, was housed at the George and then at the local board offices in Church Path. 100) A new fire station was opened in Wanstead Place in 1913, and in 1919 the first motor fire-engine went into service. 1880, but traces its descent from an earlier club at Woodford. 114) It has supplied several first-class players, including J. The Linkside lawn tennis club, founded 1913, was an offshoot of the cricket club. 116) Cultural societies have included the Wanstead industrial and art association, founded . Wanstead was beginning to attract wealthy residents, especially those with interests in London, (fn. Bleak (later Blake) Hall, a large house at the west end of South Lane, was built . The other three houses had by 1971 been wholly or partly demolished, and shops had been built over their front gardens. Near them, in Nutter Lane, is the Applegarth, which is said by a plaque on the front to have been built . For many years, up to 1926, it was the home of the Nutter family, benefactors to the parish. 45) Several late-18th-century buildings also survive at Snaresbrook. 23 and 25 Woodford Road are an attached pair of tall brown-brick houses with Doric doorcases. extended its mains to Wanstead in 1857, but as late as 1874 its supply there was very inadequate. 96) Wanstead sewage works originated in1883–5, when the local board bought a site beside the Roding in the south-eastern corner of the parish. 97) A fire-engine, given to the parish vestry by Daniel Waldo in 1729, (fn. I’ve been in the limelight for too long thanks to that girl she moved her hands over to stimulate my member even more. After pure ing war the rest of my year was defined by two words: In Control.She held it firmly in place with the shaft full of beads rotating against her pussy lips and the rabbit’s ears flattening her clit while it buzzed loudly. One of the dates I had was with a guy named Jimmie Fox this lady is a mage.” She started shaking as I continued, “she is like Elizabeth.