They were finally defeated in 1794 at the Battle of Fallen Timbers.This loose affiliation of tribes included the Wyandot and Council of Three Fires.Resettlement began around 1818 after a Cincinnati syndicate purchased a 974-acre (3.9 km) tract at the mouth of Swan Creek and named it Port Lawrence, developing it as the modern downtown area of Toledo.Immediately to the north of that, another syndicate founded the town of Vistula, the historic north end.The most popular version attributes the naming to Willard J.Daniels, a merchant, who reportedly suggested Toledo because it 'is easy to pronounce, is pleasant in sound, and there is no other city of that name on the American continent.'"Despite Toledo's efforts, the canal built the final terminus in Manhattan, one-half mile (800 m) to the north of Toledo, because it was closer to Lake Erie.
Others award the honor to Two Stickney, son of the major who quaintly numbered his sons and named his daughters after States.By a treaty in 1795, they ceded large areas of territory in Ohio to the United States, opening lands for European-American settlement. Slocum, the American military built Fort Industry at the mouth of Swan Creek about 1805, but as a temporary stockade.No official reports support the 19th-century tradition of its earlier history there.When the city of Toledo was preparing to pave its streets, it surveyed "two prehistoric semicircular earthworks, presumably for stockades." One was at the intersection of Clayton and Oliver streets on the south bank of Swan Creek; the other was at the intersection of Fassett and Fort streets on the right bank of the Maumee River.Such earthworks were typical of mound-building peoples.The area was not settled by European-Americans until 1795 and later.After the conclusion of the American Revolutionary War, the regional tribes allied in the Western Confederacy, fighting a series of battles in what became known as the Northwest Indian War in an effort to repulse American settlers from the country west of the Appalachians and north of the Ohio River.These two towns bordered each other across Cherry Street.This is why present-day streets on the street's northeast side run at a slightly different angle from those southwest of it.The first of many glass manufacturers arrived in the 1880s, eventually earning Toledo its nickname: "The Glass City".It has since become a city with an art community, auto assembly businesses, education, healthcare, and local sports teams. state of Ohio, after Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.